Do you want to learn how to replace the headlight assembly of your Volvo S60 at home? If yes, then keep reading.
The general reason behind replacing a headlight is a fused bulb, but there are other reasons why the entire assembly has to be replaced. The earlier Volvo S60 had a headlight that used to come with a glass lens that was prone to cracks and easy to break. Later the glass was changed to plastic, but oxidization dims the lens and makes it cloudy, so the lights seem much dimmer.
You should change the headlight assembly without any delay by following this guide if you face these problems.
What Are the Available Aftermarket Options?
If your vehicle’s headlights are not working correctly, you should not ignore them and replace them as soon as possible. The simplest solution is to change your headlight with an OEM headlight similar to the original.
But those who are not happy with the brightness or appearance of their OEM headlight and want something more stylish should choose the aftermarket options.
There are numerous aftermarket headlights available for all models. From high-performance halogens to HIDs and LEDs, whichever you want, you can get it for your vehicle. Everything depends on your budget.
When replacing the headlight with an OEM, there won’t be much change, and you can return the headlight by following this guide. But suppose you want to retrofit an aftermarket headlight. In that case, it’s better to get a professional for help because the HID will need you to install a ballast along with it. Similarly, you will have to make some changes in the electrical circuit of your car when retrofitting an LED headlight.
Does the Volvo S60 have Reflectors or Projectors?
Volvo S60 comes with halogen reflectors in the showrooms. You can get other higher-end trims options, but most people retrofit their vehicles with an aftermarket HID or LED instead of buying a trim because of the headlight.
Required Tools for Headlight Assembly
A new headlight
- Trim removal tool
- 10mm socket
- Ratchet and extension
- Flathead and Phillips screwdriver
- Torx 25 screwdriver
Step by Step Instruction for Volvo S60 2010 Headlight Assembly Replacement:
- Open the bonnet and remove the push pop clips holding the radiator support on the top side of the bumper with the help of a trim removal tool.
- Next, move to the bumper side of the front wheel liner and loosen the Torx 25 screw on it that is holding the bumper with the fender. Do not obliterate the screw and repeat this process on the other side.
- Remove the corner trim piece on each side of the bumper. Remove the two 12mm bolts visible after taking the trim off.
- Pull the bumper cover gently and detach the fog lamp harness before disconnecting it completely.
- Next, take the bumper anchor off by removing T25 and 10mm screws. This will give you access to the headlight bracket.
- Remove all the bolts holding the headlight and disconnect the harnesses before pulling it out completely.
- Put the new headlight in the stock place after connecting the cables.
- Close everything in the reverse mood to complete the process.
- The whole process will take 20 minutes.