Changing the broken parts of a vehicle is a must for owners, and the same goes for the headlights. The main reason for replacing the headlight kit is safety, since driving with a broken headlight can be deadly.
Even when the headlight is not broken, many people still go for the headlight kit replacement. Many trims come with different headlight configurations. You might want to change the basic halogen bulbs or the reflector housing with an LED bulb and projector housing because buying the upper-end trim can be very expensive.
Regardless of the reason, headlight kit replacement is something that every car owner finds intriguing. Today, we will show you how to replace headlight housing in your Nissan Pathfinder.
Types of Headlights in Nissan Pathfinder
The Nissan Pathfinder manufactured in 1986 has reached its 5th generation in 2021. The earlier generations were equipped with halogen bulbs and a reflector lens. These were the only specifications available in those times. But with the advancement in technology, people now have a lot more options.
Different trims come with different specs, especially luxury trims are furnished with the best OEM headlights. Even if you go for a standard trim carrying a halogen bulb and reflector housing, you can later upgrade your basic housing with a more efficient LED bulb and projector housing.
Why change from Halogen to LED? Pros and Cons of LEDs
Let’s first have a look at the cons of LED. When replacing a Halogen with an LED, you will notice the price difference. LEDs are expensive compared to Halogens. You can get a halogen bulb for $5-$10, but you will have to spend an LED $60-$100.
There are 2 major advantages an LED will provide: Improved life expectancy and low power consumption. The LEDs are designed to last longer, and they will accompany you for a long time. The reduced power consumption will reduce strain on other parts of the engine.
Nissan Pathfinder Headlight Assembly Upgrade
In this guide, I will show you the process of replacing the headlight assembly in the 2000-2004 Nissan Pathfinder. This guide will also be helpful for other Nissan Pathfinder models with some minor tweaks here and there.
Collect the necessary tools and get ready.
Tools for Headlight kit Replacement
- The new headlight assembly kit
- Plastic trim tools
- 10mm socket, ratchet, extensions
- Rust penetrant
- Needle nose
- Flathead and Phillips screwdriver
The process of Headlight Assembly upgrade
- Get under the hood and prop it up after turning the ignition off and making sure that the engine is cool.
- To replace the headlight housing you will have to take the grill off. Remove all the plastic clips holding the grill with a needle nose and pull the grill out.
- Remove the turn signal by removing a 10mm at the top of the headlight. Behind the turn signal, you can see the headlight bracket remove all the 10mm bolts at the sides, top, and bottom of the headlight. There is a plastic panel at the bottom of the headlight; pull it out as well. If the bolts are rusty, spray some rust penetration.
- Disconnect the harnesses from sockets and remove the assembly.
- Connect the harnesses with the new assembly and place them in the stock housing.
- Close everything again to complete the process.
- The process will take about 20-30 minutes.