Headlights are a vital safety feature of every vehicle, and they should always be in the best condition. A dim or broken headlight is a major cause of accidents on roads, especially at night. If you want to replace or upgrade your Mazda CX-5’s headlight assembly with an OEM (original) or aftermarket headlight kit, this Mazda CX5 headlight assembly upgrade guide can help you.
There is no need to hire a professional to perform this upgrade because you can easily do it yourself in your garage. Just make a slot of around half an hour in your schedule, and you will be good.
If you only want to replace the bulbs, the process will be easier and cheaper, but replacing the whole housing will take a little more effort. Let’s get started.
Mazda CX-5 History
The Mazda CX-5 is a C-segment SUV and was introduced by Mazda in 2012. The company loaded it with the complete Skyactiv technology to produce a lightweight but sturdy vehicle with improved fuel efficiency and emission control by utilizing the latest engines and transmissions.
The first generation from 2012-2015, known as Mazda CX-5 KE, was equipped with halogen lights. The second-generation Mazda KE Facelift 2015-2017 came with a halogen main beam and low beam, but the rear and daytime lights were LED. The next generation from 2017-2021 Mazda CX-5 KF is equipped with LED in both high and low beams.
Mazda CX-5 2016 Headlight Assembly Upgrade Guide
There is nothing complex about the process, and you will be able to perform it pretty easily with the help of some basic tools. This guide is specifically for 2016 model factory model headlights, but it is also applicable to other models with minor differences.
Tools Required for the Replacement Process
- The new headlight assembly
- The ratchet and extension
- Sockets (10mm, 8mm)
- Flathead and Phillips screwdrivers
- Trim removers
Step By Step Process of the Headlight Assembly Kit Replacement
- Pop the hood after making sure that the engine is cool and disconnect the batteries.
- The main hurdle when replacing the headlight housing is removing the front bumper. You will find 4 screws on the radiator cover, and multiple push-pin fasteners remove them all before taking the plastic cover off.
- Next, move to the fender well. You will find a plastic cover known as the over-fender held in place by many pop clips: remove all the clips to take the over-fender (do not take the whole thing off, our goal is just to clear the bumper). You will find some more pop clips and 1 10mm bolt that you will have to remove underneath the cover.
- Now move to the bottom of the car and you will find multiple 8mm bolts and pop-clips at the front edge of the bumper. Remove all of them.
- Disengage the bumper by pulling it outwards.
- Remove the bolts keeping headlight housing in place, and disconnect the harnesses.
- Place the new assembly in the stock location and connect the harnesses.
- Put everything back in place and close them carefully.
If you have followed all the steps carefully, you will be ready to go. Your Mazda vehicle is now boasting a brand-new and shiny headlight kit.