A vehicle’s headlights start degrading with time, and you might feel the bulbs are becoming dim or the lens becoming yellowish or cloudy. This means that you need a new bulb or headlight housing upgrade. Not only will this upgrade offer you safety it will also make your vehicle’s appearance better.
You might be thinking about going to a professional to replace the assembly, but if you give it a little time, you can do it yourself and some money. We will provide all the information about the Acura TL headlight assembly upgrade in this guide so you can replace them without having much difficulty.
What Type of Headlights does Acura TL come with?
The earlier generations had halogens, while the 3rd and 4th generation was equipped with Xenon high-intensity discharge (HID), a better tech than the halogens that offers a very clear view of the road. The Acura TL also uses halogen high beam projector bulbs.
Advantages of the HID Bulbs over the Halogens:
HIDs are a huge update to the traditional halogen bulbs. They are much brighter and have a longer life span than halogens. They are perfect to use in low-light conditions. Last but not least, they put less strain on the electrical circuit because they require less energy to operate.
To be honest, replacing the headlight assembly in the Acura TL is a little difficult than other cars, and it will take around 1 hour. But you can save an extra $150 during the process, so it is totally worth it.
What to consider when buying an HID?
There are three factors that you should consider before buying an LED for your Acura TL
Light output: choose an HID with high light output because, with more power, the bulb will be able to illuminate a larger area.
Lifespan and reliability: Do not go for the cheap ones; instead, choose the one with better life expectancy.
Warranty: Lastly, make sure the bulb has a warranty attached to it.
Acura TL Headlight Assembly Upgrade
With the help of some tools and knowledge, you can upgrade the headlight assembly easily. You will need to stay calm and patient during the whole process.
- A new headlight assembly
- 10mm socket
- Ratchet and extensions
- Trim removal kit
- Flathead and Phillip screwdriver
Step by Step process of 2003 Acura TL Headlight Assembly Kit Replacement
This guide is specifically for 2003 Acura TL, but it also applies to other models with a few minor changes.
- Open the hood and pop the clips out to remove the radiator support plastic cover on top of the grill.
- Under the cover, you will find 2 more clips; pop them out as well.
- Next, remove a screw under the fender lining on both sides of the vehicle with a Phillip screwdriver.
- Get under the car and remove the clips and 10 mm bolts holding the bumper in place.
- Now disconnect the fog lights, pull the bumper off its tabs, and remove it.
- Remove all the bolts holding the headlight bracket in place and unseat it after unplugging the harnesses.
- Plug the cables in the new assembly after replacing the bulbs and place it in the original location.
- Put everything back in its position.